Information for refugees from Ukraine

The Norwegian government has granted temporary collective protection for refugees fleeing the war in Ukraine. Refugees with temporary collective protection are granted a residence permit in Norway for one year at a time.

Last updated: 9/4/2023

New in Norway - a new website with information adapted to adults who have applied for or is going to apply for protection because of the war in Ukraine

Refugees who have been granted temporary collective protection are covered by a settlement scheme. This means that they can get public assistance to find a place to live and are entitled to certain benefits and services in the municipality where they are settled.  

Individuals or families who manage financially without economic support from the municipality and have found a place to live are free to settle on their own.

Refugees from the Ukraine have the right to participate in Norwegian society for as long as they stay here. This means that children are allowed to go to school or kindergarten and adults have the right to find employment or partake in other activities.  

You can find more information on these topics in the Q&A below. 

Questions and Answers (Q&A)


What is the difference between living in a municipality and being settled with public assistance?

If you can do without financial support or the Introduction Program, you are free to live anywhere in the country. In order to be entitled to participate in the Introduction Program, receive introductory economic benefits and other financial benefits from the municipality, settlement must take place through an agreement between the municipality and the state (IMDi). A precondition for being settled with public assistance is that the person in question has been granted protection.

How should I proceed to be settled with public assistance?

To be settled with public assistance, the following applies:

  • If you are registered in the reception system (i.e. if you live in an asylum reception centre, emergency accommodation or at an alternative to reception centre), and you are granted collective temporary protection, you will be settled in a municipality. You will be interviewed at the reception centre. In the interview you will have the opportunity to tell us about any network you have in Norway.
  • If you live privately with someone, you must apply for settlement with public assistance before you can be settled in a municipality. You must be granted protection before you can be settled. Here you will find the application form in Norwegian, English, Ukraine and Russian.
  • If you have found accomodation in a municipality and want to settle in the municipality, you must contact the municipality where the accomodation is located to see if you can be settled there. It is important that you do not sign a rental agreement until you have received approval from the municipality. The municipality cooperates with IMDi so that you can be settled with public assistance.

For more information see "Søknad om bosetting med offentlig hjelp for privatboende" (Norwegian only).

Children's right to education

Do Ukrainian children who come to Norway as refugees have the right to education?

Every child of compulsory school age in Norway has the right to a compulsory education, regardless of their residential status and circumstances, provided that the children are expected to stay in Norway for three months or more. This right shall be fulfilled as soon as possible and no later than within one month.

Primary school for children and youth, 6-16 years:

When the child/youth has resided in Norway for three months, he or she also has a duty to participate in primary and lower secondary education. This means that parents cannot choose whether their children should participate in education or not.

Education for youth and adults 16-24 years:

Youth who have completed Norwegian primary school or equivalent education*, are entitled to upper secondary education upon application. Norwegian language competence is not required for admission to upper secondary education.

Persons who have completed upper secondary education in another country, but do not have their education approved as study qualifications or vocational qualifications in Norway, have the right to receive upper secondary education.

The applicant must have legal residence in Norway.

*For example, completed primary and lower secondary education in a foreign country, at least 9 years.

Language training

Can refugees with temporary collective protection participate in Norwegian language training?

  • People between the ages of 18 and 67 who have temporary collective protection are entitled to Norwegian language training.
  • The municipality will provide this service to those who wish to participate.
  • To receive Norwegian language training, you must be a resident in a municipality by agreement with the Directorate of Integration and Diversity (IMDi).
  • You can receive Norwegian language training for a period of one year from when you start. If you have valid leave of absence from the training, this will be extended by the amount of time you are on leave.
  • There is a right to take one free Norwegian language test, which means that those who need to document their Norwegian language skills will have the opportunity to do so. The municipality shall ensure that the participants are able to take a final exam in Norwegian that is free-of-charge.
  • You can receive Norwegian language training even if you choose not to participate in the introduction program.

Can I use digital/online tools in order to learn Norwegian on my own?

Here are some language programmes you might find useful:

How can I practise Norwegian language skills provided by NGOs?

Better Norwegian language skills will give you a better life in Norway. Norwegian language practice is for everyone who wants to practise their Norwegian. It is free of charge, and you do not need to register. At Norwegian language practice, you will meet other people who also want to practise their Norwegian. Sessions will include reading newspaper articles, role-play and general conversation.

The following NGOs provide Norwegian language practice for free. Contact the individual organisation to find out how to join.

The Norwegian Red Cross – Røde Kors
The Norwegian Red Cross has many different options for people who want to practise their Norwegian language skills. See what is available near you. Read more on the Norwegian Red Cross website (the website is in Norwegian).

The Norwegian Women’s Public Health Association – Sanitetskvinnene
The Norwegian Women’s Public Health Association runs a scheme called “Language Buddy for Women” at several different places in Norway (go to the Norwegian Women’s Public Health Association’s website to see a list of the places). Send an SMS to phone number (+47) 90 26 03 68 with the word SPRÅKVENN (literally: “language buddy”) and the place where you live (for example: SPRÅKVENN Bergen) and they will help you. Read more on the Norwegian Women’s Public Health Association’s website (the website is in Norwegian).

KIA Norway
KIA runs Language Cafés where you can also have a good meal while practising your Norwegian. Language Cafés are held in Bergen, Oslo, Skien, Trondheim, Ålgård, Hå and Sandnes. Read more on KIA Norway’s website (the website is in Norwegian).

Local volunteer centres – Frivilligsentralen
Volunteer centres all over Norway offer Norwegian language practice. Contact your local volunteer centre to join the Norwegian language practice where you live. Read more on the Volunteer Centre website (the website is in Norwegian).

Public libraries
Is there a Norwegian language practice arrangement near where you live? Ask at your local public library – they can help you. Several places also offer Norwegian language practice sessions at the library.

Introduction Program

Can Ukrainian refugees participate in the introduction program?

People with temporary collective protection between the ages of 18 and 55, and who reside in a municipality by agreement with IMDi, are entitled to an introduction program if they wish to participate. People over the age of 55 are not entitled to participate in the introduction program, however the municipality may choose to offer an introduction program if you are between the ages of 56 and 67.

The introduction program is a training program that will prepare you for being able to engage in work or education in Norway.

Participation in the introduction program can be combined with work.

In the introduction program you will learn either Norwegian or another language, for example, English.

The introduction program may include work experience with an employer who requires manpower, where you can receive the necessary training and follow-up in order to be offered a regular job there. This is referred to as a “fast track”, and includes training in and knowledge of Norwegian working life.

If you require education or training, you can access this as part of the program. The municipality will provide you with information about the type of education or training you can attend when you participate in the introduction program.

If you have children under the age of 18, you will receive parental guidance. The intention of parental guidance is to assist participants in obtaining knowledge about what it is like to be a parent in Norway and the services that are offered.

The municipality is obligated to offer you an introductory program if you request this.

The municipality shall give you a decision about the start of the introduction program as soon as possible and no later than three months after you become a resident.

The introduction program can be full-time or part-time.

Participants in the introduction program receive financial support for living expenses.

If paid work is included in the program, this financial support is reduced in accordance with the time spent working. Paid work that takes place outside the program (work that takes place on evenings/weekends) will not result in deductions in the financial support.

The length of the program will depend on your previous education or training.

It is only possible to start the introduction program after rejecting the program or resume the program if you have been working.

If for other reasons you have previously declined participation in the program or terminated the introduction program, you do not have the right to participate in the program at a later time.

Please contact the municipality for additional information about the rules for leave and absence from the introduction program.

Primary and secondary education for adults

Adults may be entitled to primary or secondary education specially organized for adults.

Those who have completed upper secondary education in another country, but who do not get the education approved as study qualifications or vocational qualifications in Norway, may also be entitled to upper secondary education for adults.

Formal competence can be included in the Introduction Program.


Do Ukrainian refugees who are offered paid employment have a duty to participate in the Introduction Program?

Persons who are granted collective protection are allowed to take ordinary paid work in Norway.

This presupposes that the person has been registered by the police, and that the UDI has granted collective protection.

Translated information

Here you will find useful information from IMDi in Ukrainian, Russian and English. 

Information about the Introduction Programme and language instruction - For persons with temporary collective protection

Information about the Norwegian Society

Conversing via an interpreter 

Practice your Norwegian language skills

  • Приєднайтеся до вивчення норвезької мови (ukrainian)
  • Участвуйте с нами в практике норвежского языка (russian)
  • Practise your Norwegian language skills (english)
  • Go to webpage

Useful websites

Information on arrival – applying for collective protection as a Ukrainian national

Information about your rights and obligations related to employment

Adults preparing for education and employment

  • Job vacancies in Norway: Where to find job vacancies in Norway? (
  • How to get a foreign education assessed and approved: Find out how you can get foreign university/university college education and courses taken at a vocational college or as an upper secondary education assessed and approved. Information published by Nokut: Application services – foreign education (Nokut)
  • Automatic recognition of certain degrees – a quicker alternative: NOKUT offers automatic recognition of certain degrees from Ukraine. Automatic recognition is a standardized statement about which Norwegian degree a foreign degree may be equated to. The statement may be downloaded and used immediately, without filing an application for recognition.

Information about education

How to apply for upper secondary education and university and college education?

How to obtain general study qualifications?
In order to obtain general study qualifications, persons with an education from Ukraine must document completion and passing upper secondary school and at least 1 year of higher education from an approved educational institution. In addition, they must document sufficient knowledge of English and Norwegian with an approved test or exam.

Higher education in Norway

Information about universities and colleges for higher education that offer study programs to refugees.

Access to digital services from the public sector

Pets from Ukraine

Healthcare for asylum seekers and refugees in Norway

Subjected to violence or abuse?